Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Space and Place and Drifting

In regards to space and place:

As I have read this article before the second time around definitely brings the ideas of space and place to a much higher level of understanding for myself. The reason I got hooked to the Neighborhood Narratives class in the first place was when I first read this article. There are so many times when I would find myself feeling separated from where I am or who I am with, which makes me think about space and place and the feelings that go along with it. While a hard concept to understand and really put your finger on because it can be interpreted in many ways I would like to know if other students or people get that feeling that they are in a different space then the people around them?

The second article talks of the "center" that dancers must accomplish before they are able to correctly use the space around them. Then the article talks of when children use the space around them while they walk around. I remember myself as a child only taking two steps in each sidewalk square and trying my best to only have two steps-but now with so many other things on my mind, walking has almost become a mindless action and it feels as if I am being drawn or pulled by an invisible string that will bring me to my destination. I wonder if it's children that have a closer connection to their space and place and even if they have a better understanding as their innocence and lack of stress and worry allows them to be more connected with the world around them.

I've seen many times where children notice things that parents or other older people simply overlook. I've also seen children point out their findings to adults only to be ignored as if their findings are unimportant. Yet I have stopped to indulge in a child's findings before-as I appreciate myself the small things in life that are so often overlooked. This also goes along with the psychogeographic drifting that we did for our project. I drive everywhere-so when I have the opportunity to walk a distance I make sure to take in my surroundings and how I feel in them. Noticing the smaller details of my surroundings has been something I have appreciated my whole life and would never want to lose that and become a robot on the streets. I think it is so important for everyone wherever they are to stop and just look around and take in everything around them in all it's beauty and power. Take a picture, a video, or just take notice-either way I feel like when people take that time they are essentially working on finding their own "center" just as a dancer does to be able to perform in their space.

No comments:

Post a Comment